Saturday, April 14, 2012

Special Dispatch: Kinkeshi/M.U.S.C.L.E. Intro

Hey, gang.

Some history!

1985: Mattel licenses a Japanese toy line, Bandai's Kinkeshi: tiny, monochrome PVC figures based on the "Kinnikuman" manga and anime series. They dub them M.U.S.C.L.E. ("Millions of Unusual Small Creatures Lurking Everywhere").

Mattel markets the statically-posed figurines in random assortments, including 10-packs...



Sold in translucent plastic garbage cans.

The toys are originally marketed in "flesh pink" only, and later re-colored to spur renewed consumer interest.

The line is moderately successful and it continues until 1988, when it is canceled.

2012: Hey, I still have some!


Dig 'em.

In fact, I appreciate the ingenuity displayed in all vintage Japanese toy-making. I especially adore those classic vinyl Gojira and/or Ultraman monsters (kaiju) with their garish metallic paint jobs and unlikely sculpts. (But that's another post.)

And I love kinkeshi, too.

So, the plan is, I think, to profile one randomly selected M.U.S.C.L.E. figure from my modest collection each day.

Let's see how that goes.


See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment